denisebetteridge

Diane Setterfield
Progress: 25 %
The Sea, the Sea
Iris Murdoch, Mary Kinzie
The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman - Laurence Sterne Whew! Bottomless pits, all-you-can-eat buffets, neverending story, Ah! That's the one I was looking for. What a great big bunch of hooey! Reading it reminded me of cramming for tests in college. Staying up all night, drinking two or three pots of coffee, trying to retain consciousness and all the while jittering so bad inside and being sick to your stomach.

I wanted to read the book after seeing the film "Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story." It was so bizarre that I just had to read the book, little thinking how off the wall the writing had to have been to come up with something so strange. Well, it's done now. There are some amusing passages, and little gems such as "his brain was like damp timber, and no spark could possibly take hold." It delves into philosophy a bit, too. Mostly it is the ramblings of a man who thinks he has something important to tell the world.

There should be some sort of medal at the end of the book for those who make it out alive!