denisebetteridge

Diane Setterfield
Progress: 25 %
The Sea, the Sea
Iris Murdoch, Mary Kinzie
The Lost World -  Arthur Conan Doyle Look out! There's a Pterodactyl loose in London! This was as good as reading a comic book, or what I would imagine a comic book to be like anyway. Action all the way, fast forwarding through the boring parts, punchy descriptive words- no way of getting bored with this one.

I enjoyed the fact that Doyle carried on with the Sherlockian logic in his other writing. When returning to an empty ransacked camp, our young reporter uses some classic deductive reasoning Mr. Holmes would have been proud of. To me, it is more than just common sense, but really takes a brain that works differently.

I also liked what, to me, was comic relief because I can hear the words being spoken in a particular manner: "You take very great liberties! I've never been so insulted in my life." (Can I hear myself saying that to the snotty person sitting behind the counter at the cable company?) "Our young friend makes up for many obvious mental lacunae by some measure of primitive common sense." "Get up, little chappie, and take your face off my boots." Well, it's just that bit of condescension that on certain occasions I wish my vocabulary and nerve would allow me to employ.